Monday 30 May 2011

I Shop Therefore I Am - Shoppo Quindi Esisto

In case you didn't understand it from my incredible artistic title, I have been shopping. I have been shopping and it was a truly disappointing experience. Not because of the bargain - that I hate, but found out that I am a kind of a bargain goddess - but because there was really nothing that I wanted to buy in China. Probably it's because, back at home, I still have something like 30 single wrapped chopsticks that are still waiting to be given as gifts from my previous trip to China, or probably because I have been here before, but the thing is, there was nothing that I saw that I wanted so desperately as to buy it. Which is quite good, because I am saving money at least. Anyway, let's talk about the shopping, shall we? I promise that this entry will be short, because I don't want to bore you to death, but shopping here needs a special mention. First of all, I have been to the Silk Market. The Silk Market is this big building with seven floors and filled with little stalls that sell everything. From shoes, to bags, to Korean clothes, to Western clothes, to famous brands, to silk, to pearls, to souvenirs, to lanterns and kites, chopstiks, boxes, fans, and so on and on and on.. Every inch of the Market is covered in things that can be sold. Outside there are rows of buses full of tourists that are brought right into that trap. Inside they speak pretty much every language.. apart from Italian, judging by the fact that a man walked past me asking everybody "Do you speak Italian?" in Italian and nobody seemed to understand him. They also call you, push you, pull you, shove you... It's rather ennerving if you ask me. Anyway, I bought a tea set for 60 yuan, and if you think it's too much can you believe me if I tell you that the seller started from 450 yuan? How good am I? Soooo good! Next to the Silk Market there's the Friendship Store, which sells the same exact things of the Silk Market but with fixed prices. You cannot bargain, and not because the prices are much lower than the Silk Market (I think they are at least five times higher), but only because their slogan is: "Friendship is what makes the world turn". So we should be friendly to them and buy something, while they are not friendly towards us at all... with those prices... tsk! I have also been to Zhongguangcun, the electronic heart of Beijing. Four years ago I had thought that this place was already quite futuristic as a place, well, four years ago it was nothing compared to what it is now. First of all, even the ditie stop is electronic thanks to screens everywhere that show you the exits and train times. Second, instead of a couple of buildings with some shops that sell computer and electronic dictionaries, now there are immense palaces with something like ten floors each filled with shops, one next to the other, of all the most important brands. Especially Apple which in Chinese is called Pingguo ("apple"!!). But, despite this, I have been to something like 50 Apple shops and couldn't find what I was looking for! How annoying, considering that this place is on the other side of the city to where Eva lives. One last thing, I have also been to do some shopping in Wangfujin. Two personal considerations about Wangfujin shopping: 1. has two international bookstores that are just amazing! Big, well furnished and quiet. I love them; 2. the shops are incredibly, incredibly expensive.. even more than the Friendship Store! Stupid Chinese economy, stupid tourists that buy them... Okay, I guess that's all from China, next time I write I'll be in Japan (if I understand how to make a computer work there..). I'm leaving on June 1st and I'm well excited, even if I know that I'll miss Eva! I really can't wait to see what Japan is all about. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.. 再见 for now!


***

In caso non l'abbiate capito dal mio titolo incredibilmente artistico, sono stata a fare shopping. Sono stata a fare shopping ed è stata un'esperienza davvero deludente, non perché dovevo contrattare - io odio contrattare, ma ho scoperto di essere una dea della contrattazione - ma perché non c'era davvero niente che volessi comprare. Forse è per via del fatto che, a casa, ho ancora una trentina di bacchette in confenzioni singole che aspettano di essere date in regalo dal mio ultimo viaggio in Cina, o forse perché sono stata qui prima di adesso, comunque sia non ho visto niente che volevo così tanto da comprarlo. Il che va anche bene, perché almeno sto risparmiando un po'. Comunque parliamo un po' dello shopping, giusto? Prometto che questa entrata sarà breve perché non vi voglio annoiare a morte, ma lo shopping in Cina ha bisogno di una menzione particolare. Prima di tutto, sono stata al Silk Market. Il Silk Market è questo edificio abbastanza grandino con sette piani e riempito di piccoli banchetti che vendono di tutto. Dalle scarpe, alle borse, ai vestiti coreani, ai vestiti occidentali, alle marche famose, seta, perle, souvenirs, lanterne e aquiloni, bacchette, scatole, ventagli, e così via e via e via.. Ogni centimetro del Market è ricoperto di cose sono in vendita. Fuori ci sono file di bus pieni di turisti che vengono portati dal loro tour organizzato o dal loro albergo dritti in quella trappola. Dentro i venditori parlano circa tutte le lingue.. tranne italiano a giudicare dal fatto che un tizio mi è passato di fianco ripetendo "Parla italiano?" a tutti i venditori e nessuno sembrava in grado di capirlo. Inoltre ti chiamano, spingono, tirano, spintonano... E' abbastanza snervante se volete saperlo. Comunque ho comprato un set per il tè per 60 yuan, e se pensate che sia troppo ci credete che la venditrice era partita da 450 yuan? Quanto sono brava? Bravissima! Di fianco al Silk Market c'è il Negozio dell'Amicizia che vende le stesse cose del Silk ma a prezzi fissi. Non si può contrattare, e non perché i prezzi siano molto più bassi del Silk Market (penso che siano almeno cinque volte più alti), ma solo perché il loro slogan è "L'amicizia è quello che fa girare il mondo". Quindi noi dovremmo essere amichevoli verso di loro e comprare qualcosa, mentre loro non sono per niente amichevoli verso di noi... con quei prezzi... tsk! Sono anche stata a Zhongguangcun, il cuore elettronico e pulsante di Beijing. Quando ci sono stata nel 2007, avevo già pensato che fosse un posto alquanto futuristico, bè in confronto a quello che è adesso, quattro anni fa non era niente. Prima di tutto, perfino la fermata della ditie è tutta elettronica grazie a schermi che ti mostrano l'uscita e gli orari dei treni e le pubblicità; poi, invece di un paio di edifici con alcuni negozietti che vendono computer e dizionari elettronici, ora ci sono palazzi immensi con almeno dieci piani, ogni piano pieno - ma pieno davvero - di negozi, uno attaccato all'altro, di tutte le marche più importanti. Soprattutto della Apple, che in Cina si chiama pinggu ("mela"!!), ma nonostante tutta questa abbondanza, sono stata in quasi 50 negozi Apple e non sono riuscita a trovare quello che cercavo! Che nervi, soprattutto considerando il fatto che questo posto è dall'altra parte della città rispetto a dove abita la Eva. Un'ultima cosa, sono anche stata a fare shopping a Wangfujin. Due considerazioni personali riguardo allo shopping a Wangfujin: 1. ci sono due librerie internazionali fantastiche! Grandi, ben fornite e tranquille. Le adoro; 2. i negozi sono incredibilmente costosi.. anche più del Negozio dell'Amicizia! Stupida economia cinese, stupidi turisti che comprano tutto... Okay, credo che questo sia tutto dalla Cina, la prossima volta che scriverò sarò in Giappone (se capisco come far funzionare un computer nel paese del Sol Levante..) Parto il primo giugno e sono davvero emozionata, anche se so che mi mancherà Eva! Non vedo l'ora di capire un po' di cose sul Giappone, non appena le ho capite ve le farò sapere.. 再见 per ora!


***

The Oriental Plaza in Wangfujin, a huge shopping centre where I get lost every single time. - L'Oriental Plaza a Wangfujin, un gigantesco centro commerciale dove mi perdo ogni singola volta.

***

The Bird Nest, the stadium built in 2008 for the Olympics. - Il Bird Nest, lo stadio costruito nel 2008 per le Olimpiadi.

1 comment:

  1. I was touching this stadium last year. I know what you've been through. Lots of walking! Good! Good! See you Miss! Aurélie

    ReplyDelete