Monday 31 January 2011

Mauritius' rain - La pioggia a Mauritius

I was in Mauritius for one day and it rained all day long. Is that possible? Apparently, it is. But let’s proceed in chronological order in this recap of the last few days. On Friday, it was raining cats and dogs. Honestly, I think that Reunionese people should be happy now because if that wasn't the rain they were waiting for I don’t know what else they wanted. In the afternoon, Expédit, Corinne and Agnès drove me to Le Port, from where I left with the ship to Port Louis, Mauritius. I left Reunion under a pouring rain, which made everything even more melancholic. The ship was small and transported people as well as goods. I shared a cabin with three lovely, French girls. Two were going to Mauritius on holiday and one was touring the Mascarene Islands on her own. I’m ashamed to say (because I’m the granddaughter of a sea captain) that I was sea sick in the first 40 minutes of voyage. But then I lay down on the bunk bed and I was fine, it was almost funny actually! I arrived in Mauritius on Saturday morning and, as I said, it rained all day. Well, okay, it didn't really rain all day long, but most of it. And the moment it stopped raining and I finally went to get my beach towel from the reception of the hotel... Guess what? They had run out of them! So I had to wait an hour to get one, and another hour to wait for the storm that had started in the meantime to finish. But finally I managed to go to the beach (my hotel was in Blue Lagoon, which is apparently famous for its coral reef), and the water was of a beautiful colour despite the clouds and the rain, but I didn’t have a diving mask or flippers so all I did was looking at the fish and corals from outside the water. It is not easy! I went back to the white sand beach when I noticed that the rocks where spotted with sea urchins and that I couldn’t have placed a toe on them if I wanted to. Anyway, the hotel where I was staying at was really nice. My room was big and clean, but I couldn’t get my door open, so I went to the reception twice to ask for help. I’m so not strong. Anyway, that evening I had a nice dinner, but I refused to eat the pizza they included in the “Mauritian Buffet”. The next day I caught the plane to Durban where I arrived ten minutes ahead of the scheduled time. Margaret and Steve were there to welcome me. They are a lovely couple with a beautiful house, and I’m so lucky to be here. I can’t wait to write my impressions on South Africa. Hope to do that soon!

***

Sono stata a Mauritius per un giorno e ha piovuto tutto il giorno. È possibile? Apparentemente, sì. Ma lasciate che faccia il riassunto di questi giorni in ordine cronologico. Venerdì, pioveva a catinelle. Davvero, penso che i Riunionesi saranno contenti ora, perché se quella non era la pioggia che si aspettavano non so cos’altro vogliano. Nel pomeriggio Expédit, Corinne and Agnès mi hanno accompagnata a Le Port, da dove sono partita con la nave per Port Louis, Mauritius. Ho lasciato Réunion sotto una pioggia battente che ha reso il tutto ancora più melanconico. La nave era piccola e trasportava sia persone che merci. Ho condiviso la cabina con tre simpatiche ragazze francesi. Due partivano per Mauritius per una vacanza e una faceva il giro delle Mascarene da sola. Mi vergogno a dire (visto che sono la nipote di un capitano di marina mercantile) che ho vomitato nei primi 40 minuti di viaggio, ma poi mi sono sdraiata nella cuccetta e sono stata bene, anzi era quasi divertente! Sono arrivata a Mauritius sabato mattina e, come ho detto, ha piovuto tutto il giorno. Bè, okay, non proprio tutto il giorno, ma la maggior parte del tempo sì. E quando ha smesso di piovere e sono andata per prendere un telo mare dalla reception... indovinate un po’? Teli mare finiti! Quindi ho dovuto aspettare un’ora per averne uno, e un’altra ora per aspettare che la tempesta che era intanto iniziata finisse. Ma alla fine sono riuscita ad andare in spiaggia (il mio hotel era a Blue Lagoon, che in teoria è famosa per la barriera corallina), e l’acqua era di un bellissimo color turchese nonostante le nuvole e la pioggia, ma non avendo né maschera né pinne, tutto quello che ho fatto è stato guardare i pesci e i coralli con la testa fuori dall’acqua. Vi assicuro che non è facile! Sono tornata alla spiaggia di sabbia bianca non appena mi sono accorta che le rocce erano coperte di ricci di mare e non avrei potuto metterci un piede se avessi voluto. Comunque l’hotel dov’ero era molto bello. La mia camera era spaziosa e pulita, ma avevo problemi ad aprire la porta, quindi sono andata alla reception due volte per chiedere aiuto. Quella sera ho avuto una bella cenetta, ma mi sono rifiutata di mangiare la pizza che era inclusa nel “Buffet Mauriziano”. Il giorno dopo ho preso l’aereo per Durban dove sono arrivata con dieci minuti di anticipo. Margaret e Steve erano lì ad accogliermi. Sono una coppia fantastica con una casa bellissima, e io sono proprio fortunata ad essere qui. Non vedo l’ora di scrivere le mie impressioni sul Sudafrica. Spero di poterlo fare presto!

***

The Route du Littoral (that goes from St-Denis to La Possession) with waterfalls and under the rain. - La Route du Littoral (che va da St-Denis alla Possession) con cascate e sotto la pioggia.

***

The ship that brought me to Mauritius. - La nave che ho preso per andare a Mauritius.

***

Port Louis, capital of Mauritius, from the taxi. - Port Louis, la capitale di Mauritius, dal taxi.

***

My hotel, the Blue Lagoon Beach Hotel. - Il mio hotel, il Blue Lagoon Beach Hotel.

***

Blue Lagoon.

1 comment: